Skip to main content

Hot Tenting/Wild Camping & Bushcraft ...Early thoughts.....

It seems more common than you would credit.

We have been looking into the viability of a bit of winter camping, but not necessarily on a campsite as such. Possibly near to home and a preference for a woodland. I am probably describing wild camping here. The trouble with that term is that it has such a broad covering of what wild camping means. The purist would no doubt scoff at the phrase used for the type of camping we are looking to do, and in truth I can see that would be fair. Surely "wild camping" is backpacking with a pack of self sustenance for whatever that period away may be.

The Americans/Canadians just call it "Hot Tenting" which I think suits the style.

I think I look at it as....I don't know yet in truth. Maybe after it's happened I will have better phrase.

Even the word camping has that effect for many. My definition of camping is in a tent, whereas it seems this can be used for others to mean a motorhome, caravan or camper van.

In preparation we are trying to pare down the equipment we use. Some of our early thoughts.

1) Shelter Type
2) Heating
3) Cooking
4) Transportation
5) Suitable Land

The first point :

Shelter Type. We do not own the correct type of shelter we would need. Something smallish, quick to erect, lightish and big enough for two.

We discussed the merits of a few different tents. Swinging from a 3M bell to tipi style tents, before settling on a clever design from Robens, namely the model Fairbanks. The clever design in this case is that the modular centre pole does not enter the main tent area like most tipi style tents, therefore offering more room inside...and certainly more ability to utilise space better particularly needed when a hot stove is inside.



Second & Third  Point :

These seem to go together as we looked at killing two birds with one stone. A stove designed for tents was the surprise winner, when I stumbled on a you tube video of a channel called TA Outdoors. I think it actually came about as I looked for suitable tenting, but noted he used a tent called a Lavvu (Polish made) and a stove. This led us to a Nordic design made from stainless steel and made by GStove. We managed to locate one in a Bushcraft shop a little over an hour away from us. The shop is Tamarack Outdoors

I did a bit more research and I thought it would be useful as both a heating and cooking companion. We opted for the Heat view standard size version. It's a weighty item at almost 10kg including a full flue system which cleverly packs inside the stove for transportation.

My wife, amongst other things, is a very capable sheet metal worker and fabricator, and when she said it's very well made....it's a seal of approval second to non. It also comes with an ash scraper and a grate for the inside of the stove.

A few kiln dried logs were bought and a test was conducted in the garden that evening.

A little cotton wool as tinder was used, with a few rudimentary featherstick shavings and soon enough the stove was red hot.


Forth Point :

Mmmmm....not sure yet as I think with the stove and tent (both weighing 10KG each) I think we may have to settle for a car for at least part of the way. Much depends on the site available to us. Whilst I am happy to carry weight over a distance the safety and enjoyment has to be there so finding a suitable pack is certainly a must. I do like the look of the old Swedish LK35 which reminds me of a frame rucsack I used to own when orienteering many years ago. We shall see. It's really the pack size of the tent that is of concern at 77cm x 26cm.

Fifth Point : 

We have already sought a site locally in a lovely place, but as we walked around the area we could see a lot of evidence of people already using it for "evenings" Why leave your shite around after your stay? "Leave No Trace" is surely a must adhere to rule. Lots of plastic bottles, blankets, duvets and cans left. I'm guessing this is from summer visitors, and hope that in winter visitors to the area are few and far between. I also have looked at asking a land owner to use a small wooded area he owns. This could be ideal but would ultimately be down to the owner. This is still to be worked on.

Bushcraft seems another term that covers a multitude of skills, and can be as intense and wide ranging as you have time, inclination or skills to suit. 

It seems that in general let everybody do their thing whatever you call it....just enjoy it!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LK35 Rucksack Overview and Thoughts. (Canvas Version)

I managed to pick up a reasonable used condition iconic rucksack from from the Swedish Military. The LK35 is a steel framed bucket style rucksack used from the 70s onwards. It's ability to carry heavy loads and pack quite a lot of gear inside...and crucially outside, is very much sought after. It's a very basic sack, but its design with all the straps for extra loading points is superb. Described as a 35ltr in size, I am sure it can take more. I have always owned a metal external frame rucksack even in my days with the scouts, so this fits the bill nicely. It seems to be popular choice for those looking to carry unusual loads, like game meat or timber. I can't see that being my requirement though. Mine is one of two styles reportedly made, one being of canvas with the other from Cordura synthetic material with PU coating inside. I am guessing that the Cordura version will resist water better. Most of the Rucksacks I have seen online via YouTube, have been Cordura as it s

New season is underway.......

It seems an age when we wait to get our family camping back underway. Easter fell reasonably late and the weather was glorious the whole holiday. My wife and I finished early on Thursday afternoon and drove just over an hour away to a campsite we have used many times previously. Charoland Campsite is a small adults only site that has about 10 pitches and is placed between Preston & Blackpool. With it being Easter and the weather set fine we often seek refuge within an adults only site. The hosts run a small farm and are meticulous in all they do. Having set the tent up I left Mandy at about 8pm all alone for her first night solo camping as I had work the following day. It was a pleasure setting up the tent but was surprised to see only three other units onsite. I returned the following day after work to find the site filling up. Sadly like most sites it is gradually turning over to suit motorhomes and caravans that seem to prefer tarmac, block paving or shale standings. Perso