Skip to main content

Wild Camp Locally. Covid - 19

Well how very quick the landscape of life changes. A virus in December in China had us wagging our fingers which soon changed to clenching our arse cheeks in March in Europe.

Just before the strict rules on movement and self isolation came into force the weather suddenly swung to fair and dry! A friend very kindly asked if I wanted to go with him on a wild camp locally. We had permission from the landowner so I could hardly say no.

It was up in the hills overlooking a small village in Rossendale a village where my camping buddy grew up in so it was nice to get a brief history on the area.


My down sleeping bag (nearest.) Nice and small.

We were just staying for one night. I took my small Vango Delta 200 and Mick took his newish One Tigris Smokey Hut Teepee with stove jack.


Mick was very excited to finally get to use his new Titanium collapsible stove. You see Mick and I have a few addictions. Mine is tents, and lights, Micks is tents and stoves.


The stove in use was very good and kept Mick toasty warm throughout as it was lit on arrival and did not go out until leaving. It was used as a great cooker with warming water for coffee, making toast and of course placing a frypan on for cooking sausage. Yum.


I had taken a Titanium Twig stove which I really like as it's light and folds very flat. I like the fact you have a raised controlled fire. I am not that keen on fires being lit on open ground.

After setting up a brew was in order. We did the usual talking about what gear we liked and why. I set about splitting some timber up to use in the twig stove so we could have steak!


By this time the temp had dropped from a lovely 13C down to 1C with a stiff breeze adding to the cold feel. I had my wool base layers on and a new wool hat from Ben Orford. I did like that.

I did not put the inner in my tent so just used a tarp on the floor where I put my SIM and a fantastic Enlightened Equipment Enigma down quilt rated down to -17C. I just can't get on with the mummy sleeping bags at all so whilst the quilt is a ridiculous cost they are very good with regards to weight (825g) and compressed size ( 10" x 8") but with a loft of 75mm and fill power of 850.

It was an early night with a Oboy hot chocolate enjoyed before bed.


The wind picked up overnight and I finally succumbed to a sore throat. It was not a particularly comfortable night but I managed to block out most of the draught with by stuffing stuff up against the tent outer where a 2" gap existed.

A fox some 5m away woke me up as it gave out and eerie bark....I checked the bacon was still under my flysheet!

As morning broke my tent had condensation and my pillow had ice on, most likely from my breath. The tent on the outside was covered in icing sugar.

A warm up with a brew and then onto a sausage sandwich which was well received. We were in no rush to leave so the Bannock mix later on went down as a bonus treat although it was just too messy to mix and use and took to long to cook. But they were nice!


A leisurely pack up and a walk in the sunshine had Mick pointing out some local interest.

I enjoyed the camp and together with the stoves, steak, bannocks, good views and ace weather made for a great wild camp.......

Now the COVID - 19 thing has took control and for now there will be no camping wild or otherwise for me as I take on board the government's directive of no unnecessary travel.

Oh well....best things come to those who wait eh. Keep safe and remember the guidelines.....

I am sat writing this as I have still a sore throat, bronchitis and earache. Last weekend seems a long time ago now.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LK35 Rucksack Overview and Thoughts. (Canvas Version)

I managed to pick up a reasonable used condition iconic rucksack from from the Swedish Military. The LK35 is a steel framed bucket style rucksack used from the 70s onwards. It's ability to carry heavy loads and pack quite a lot of gear inside...and crucially outside, is very much sought after. It's a very basic sack, but its design with all the straps for extra loading points is superb. Described as a 35ltr in size, I am sure it can take more. I have always owned a metal external frame rucksack even in my days with the scouts, so this fits the bill nicely. It seems to be popular choice for those looking to carry unusual loads, like game meat or timber. I can't see that being my requirement though. Mine is one of two styles reportedly made, one being of canvas with the other from Cordura synthetic material with PU coating inside. I am guessing that the Cordura version will resist water better. Most of the Rucksacks I have seen online via YouTube, have been Cordura as it s

New season is underway.......

It seems an age when we wait to get our family camping back underway. Easter fell reasonably late and the weather was glorious the whole holiday. My wife and I finished early on Thursday afternoon and drove just over an hour away to a campsite we have used many times previously. Charoland Campsite is a small adults only site that has about 10 pitches and is placed between Preston & Blackpool. With it being Easter and the weather set fine we often seek refuge within an adults only site. The hosts run a small farm and are meticulous in all they do. Having set the tent up I left Mandy at about 8pm all alone for her first night solo camping as I had work the following day. It was a pleasure setting up the tent but was surprised to see only three other units onsite. I returned the following day after work to find the site filling up. Sadly like most sites it is gradually turning over to suit motorhomes and caravans that seem to prefer tarmac, block paving or shale standings. Perso

Hot Tenting/Wild Camping & Bushcraft ...Early thoughts.....

It seems more common than you would credit. We have been looking into the viability of a bit of winter camping, but not necessarily on a campsite as such. Possibly near to home and a preference for a woodland. I am probably describing wild camping here. The trouble with that term is that it has such a broad covering of what wild camping means. The purist would no doubt scoff at the phrase used for the type of camping we are looking to do, and in truth I can see that would be fair. Surely "wild camping" is backpacking with a pack of self sustenance for whatever that period away may be. The Americans/Canadians just call it "Hot Tenting" which I think suits the style. I think I look at it as....I don't know yet in truth. Maybe after it's happened I will have better phrase. Even the word camping has that effect for many. My definition of camping is in a tent, whereas it seems this can be used for others to mean a motorhome, caravan or camper van. In p